Thursday, November 13, 2014

First Post Nov. 13/2014

The last few winters, I have had a building project.  I need something to keep me occupied during the months when it is too cold to cycle, sail and row.  Last winter, I built the wonderful First Mate rowing/sailing dinghy, designed by Ross Lillistone.  I love that boat and don't want to build a boat to replace it.   I take the First Mate rowing a couple of days a week and love rowing that boat.  

So, here I am, in the middle of November about to build a dedicated rowing boat.  For a couple of reasons.  First is that I am going stir-crazy.  Second is that I want a rowing boat that will easily carry a passenger and can launch from a cart, like a canoe or kayak.  Then, I can row in the estuary near my house.  Then I can take someone along now and again.  If the boat happens to be faster and no less sea-worthy?  All to the good.  

I happened upon Paul Butler's Pacific Troller Dory design and fell in love with the lines and marveled at the simple building technique.  It promises to be capable.  Previous builders have posted glowing reports!

Then I unearthed a suggestion I'd made to my friend about finding a suitable design for a rowing boat to build for his wife

.  

I think I have the perfect plan!  I shall build Karen's boat this winter.  I now have something to keep me occupied.  Because it is a late start, yet needs to be done in time for her birthday, there is some sense of urgency!  Some added incentive for delaying the mundane household chores as this boat needs to be done!  

Once the boat is done and I have rowed it over my customary course, I shall be able to decide if it will fill the needs I mentioned.  

Feels like a win/win situation! 

The attached photos are taken from
 http://www.butlerprojects.com/boats/pacific/index.htm
Pictures submitted by previous builder.





No comments:

Post a Comment