Saturday, December 6, 2014

Finally Underway!

A new boat design has been chosen.  I am going to build Jim Michalak's Oracle!

Two weeks ago, I ordered the plans through Duckworks and they arrived yesterday.  A week ago, I ordered the marine plywood from our local Windsor Plywood and was happy to have that arrive Thursday.  The last sunny day in the forecast!

I was so excited to open the boat plans!  The entire plan, with all the drawings, is on one large sheet!  Instructions and useful information on a dozen or so printed pages.


I've had Jim Michalak's boat building book from the library for a few days and have read through that too.  Everything seems to make sense.

Late afternoon, I went out to the boatshed, and armed with a forecast for very mild temperatures, I began the project.  Officially Began!

The beginning steps have me epoxying two sheets of plywood together, end to end.  Epoxy bonding a strip of fibreglass to that joint.  The epoxy and cloth went on nicely as I've been keeping the epoxy warm, inside the house.  To help the epoxy cure, I built a little tunnel and heated it overnight.  This morning, most of the joint is nearly ready.  I moved the tent and heater and expect the last tacky section to be set by lunchtime.

Once the epoxy is cured, I can draw on the panels for the sides and bottom.

So exciting!







No comments:

Post a Comment