Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Floatation Tanks

Since my last entry, the weather has turned more spring like, allowing the epoxy to cure over most nights.

After the rubrails were installed, the hull felt a lot stiffer.  Time to install the floatation tanks.  I went back to my earlier calculations and decided to allow the tank in the bow to follow the chine between bilge and top panel.  At the rear, it was decided to make the tank with two levels.  The forward level would, like the bow, follow the chine.  The aft section of the tank would go to the top of the hull.

It was easy to take the measurements from the hull, and I used left over marine plywood.

However, I did not have sufficient left-over plywood to make the tops of the tanks, so I had to buy another sheet.  As the tops will be sealed on both sides and not required to make any bends, I used a sheet of pine, with nice grain.  Much cheaper and lighter than the imported marine grade.

Today, I cut out the tops and set them aside.






I cut out the keel and screwed and glued that into place today.

I made and installed internal braces to support the tops of the tanks as they will be used as seats for the passengers.

This part of the build is great entertainment.

I love the look of the tanks with their lids in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment